Re: [NTLK] 20 MB memory cards for sale

From: <andrewfox_at_mac.com>
Date: Mon Aug 14 2006 - 03:34:19 EDT

Hi,
This is possibly being caused by the following. This came up in
relation to a PICO Bluetooth card earlier this year which was causing
another member similar grief. Wouldn't go all the way in. What solved
it was ………

On the back panel of your Newton back off a quarter turn at a time
one or both of the screws on the side nearest the PCMCIA card slots.
By back off I mean undo;-)

Then try the offending card again. Any PCMCIA card should never have
to be forced into a PC card slot. It will cause physical damage.
PCMCIA cards are built to a uniform standard though you may strike
some tiny differences from make to make due to manufacturing tolerances.

If your Newton has ever been taken apart then someone may have
reassembled it with undue force when it came to replacing the rear
panel.

Reminds me of a story concerning a hardware training course on taking
apart Apple laptops and iBooks in particular. 6 students ALL turned
up with their own toolkits including electric screwdrivers. The
latter were removed from their sight for the duration of the course!

PS: I have purchased cards from the same seller and from Russ Bravo
and haven't had any issues with either. I suspect both sources of
card originated from the same place actually.

regards
Andrew