Re: [NTLK] Tolkien Newton Books

From: <maynard_at_jmg.com>
Date: Mon Aug 14 2006 - 13:23:39 EDT

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006, Ivan Kowalenko wrote:

> > You /do/ know that any electronic version of Tolkien's work is by
> > default an illegal version, right?
>
> Yeah, but I think if Martin owned a print copy of the Tolkien books
> in question, as well, that might be considered "Fair Use," (like
> ripping your CD to your iPod, or a screenshot of a DVD to show a
> picture of a character).

   Probably not. This argument was used by Napster during their legal
troubles with the RIAA and Napster lost. The issue is distribution, not
copying. IOW: scanning a personal copy and loading onto a Newton is
probably legal. Distributing this copy to others who also own a legal
printed copy is probably *not* legal (at least, as memory serves
that's what happened in the Napster case). However, IANAL. *shrug*