Re: [NTLK] Looking for WiFi help.

From: Cerebus <cerebus2_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue Aug 29 2006 - 08:18:36 EDT

On 8/29/06, Sam Jacobson <jacobson98@earthlink.net> wrote:

>I noticed on the Lucent card's slip that I cannot change the Channel
as it only reads "1
> (ignored)."

In infrastructure mode the channel is set by the WAP, so client
channel settings aren't used.

> Further, on my router I never recall giving it a name of any kind, thus how do I select
> a SSID?

On your G5, click on the menubar wireless icon. The network name with
the check next to it is your SSID. If it's a D-Link, it's probably
"default".

> Finally I would like to use my Newton with various wireless areas around my town,
> thus do I just need to select the roaming and power management options?

I don't think so. Roaming is handoff between WAPs as you move within
cells of a WLAN. I was grasping at straws setting it. It also
appears that SSID discovery isn't supported by the driver &
applications, which is a nuisance but not a bog one. You can always
ask someone else using the WLAN what the SSID is.

Power management is supposed to sense and reduce the client card
signal strength, but this isn't enabled without registering the
driver.

-- Tim