Re: [NTLK] Experience with NewtSync and a suggestion

From: Sonya Hipper <sonyalynn_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Wed Aug 30 2006 - 15:35:27 EDT

This sounds like a fine, constructive, and creative idea to me (even
if it was ripped off from "My Dream App" ;-) ). The resulting app
could be free to contributors, $10-20 shareware to everyone else
(since who with a MP and a Mac running OS X wouldn't want it) so the
dev could even keep making some money off it after the initial
release (and maybe fund updates).

I know that iCal syncing is always a thorn in my side keeping my Newt
from going from great tool to INSANELY great tool in my day-to-day
life. (Well, that and *reliable* Names<->Address Book sync). I'm
getting a little sick of my "back up Newt, send all addresses from
Newt to Mac as vCard, delete Names storage, add vCard to Address
Book, then re-sync" routine when NewtSync starts to choke on some
Name or other.)

And if our prospective developer wanted to make it an iSync "conduit"
w/ a dedicated sync app on the Newt, and Blunt-aware, so that I could
be syncing my BT phone and my BT Newt all at the same time, I would
be in nerdvana. But, starting from either the existing NewtSync or
DCL code-bases could also work.

I would gleefully contribute to this, and I hope that all of us OS X
users on this list would, too!

But who would be up for the effort that has the skillz and would find
this to be a worthy deal for them?

-Sonya

Tovi wrote:

> After visiting the MyDreamApp (http://www.mydreamapp.com) website I
> had an idea and thought I'd ask the list for your input. I understand
> that development for the Newton is done by the community and we can't
> expect a company to take this on since there is no way of making any
> money out of it. Wouldn't it be possible then, as this is an
> essential piece of software if the MP's life is going to be
> lengthened, for everyone in the community to give money to a
> developer to solve this problem? Suppose there are 500 people in the
> community that give $10 (maybe $20) dollars to a professional
> developer. Wouldn't this be enough to entice him to write a fully
> working and useful syncing software for OS X? We already have two
> open source initiatives, maybe he could start working from those.
> Hey, maybe some member of the list would be willing to do it !
>
> This may be a naive suggestion, but I know I would gladly pay to have
> my MP flawlessly sync to my iMac.
>
> Tovi

==
     "I urge you all today, especially today during these
times of chaos and war, to love yourself without reservations
and to love each other without restraint. Unless you're into
leather. And then, by all means, use restraints."
                                                 —Margaret Cho

Sonya Hipper
sonyalynn@earthlink.net
AIM: SonyaLynn