Re: [NTLK] Illiad: New hardware platform?

From: <maynard_at_jmg.com>
Date: Wed Aug 30 2006 - 17:18:32 EDT

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006, Tony Kan wrote:

> It turns out that it takes a fair amount of current to make the page change.
> For apps requiring a high frequency and volume of page changes, the total
> current draw over a short period can be quite high reducing the effective
> battery life between charges.

   Yeah. eInk looked like a serious contender five years back when the
technology was still in development. But the slow refresh time, mediocre
resolution, B&W only display technology, and energy consumption comparable
to B&W LCD shows that this technology is not appropriate for handheld
computing. I mean, two seconds on average per pageturn? It might be great
for billboard advertising though.

   I'm not impressed. Sony has an eInk based ebook reader coming on the
market too. However, this product, unlike Sony's, will at least read PDFs
and html. And then there's the 650 Euro price. Though if it had better dpi
and good fonts I could accept the price. Also, what about annotation? It
takes pen input (unlike the Sony) but nothing in the specs about
annotation? Huh? Annotation is critical for me. It's one of the killer
features of the Newton book reader. --M