Re: [NTLK] how do you create newton compatible graphics?

From: Don Zahniser <irntooth_at_eznet.net>
Date: Wed Aug 30 2006 - 20:59:51 EDT

On Aug 30, 2006, at 5:02 PM, Roman Pixell [GMail] wrote:

> i think you can contact the author of graphic converter and ask him
> to add support for this output format in the save dialogue of graphic
> converter.
>
> / ®
>

> On 30 aug 2006, at 20.53, martin queen wrote:
>
>> I am having serious trouble trying to convert jpg files to a format
>> that will be accepted on the newton. I jst cant find software that
>> makes it easy. My friend has got a copy of photoshop and I just cant
>> see how to get it to downsample it to the right number of colours. Or
>> see how to get it to output it as a usuable bmp or pict file! I am
>> getting quite frustrated maybe someone will point me in the direction
>> of an easy to use software tool on mac os x that will let me do this.
>>
>> Please.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.

The freeware ToyViewer seems to be almost ideal for this purpose. I
just took an 8-bit color jpeg file, resized it, converted it to 4-bit
monochrome (16 shades) and pasted it into Newton Press, then installed
it on my MP2100. Not bad (first attempt at doing this). Of course, a
lot would depend on the type of picture. I used one of a tiger.
Something with less contrast would be more difficult to work with.

You can get ToyViewer here:

http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~ogihara/software/OSX/index.html

Note that there are specific downloads for the different versions of
Mac OS X.

  - Don

--
Don V. Zahniser
PowerMac G4 Cube, 450MHz, 1.25GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.3.9