Re: [NTLK] 2010?

From: Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu Aug 31 2006 - 17:23:26 EDT

~~~ On 2006/08/31 20:32, Betty at bettyy@earthlink.net wrote ~~~

> At 7:03 PM +0200 8/31/06, Jon Glass wrote:
>> On 8/31/06, Frederick Bauman <fbauman@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hey now, I use that timer to let me know when my press pot of coffee
>>> is finished brewing. Do you know what kind of disaster could occur
>>> if I didn't have coffee? ---unthinkable! ;-)
>>
>> You actually _time_ that? When I'm forced to use those things, I just
>> wait until it can't get any blacker, and then it's done. I prefer a
>> stove-top "express" myself.
>

> I use it to time my tea - especially when I'm not home. Overbrewed
> tea is awful. I wish it counted down seconds, too.
>
> This is the first I heard of the minute timer problem. Exactly what
> is that? I've been putting my head in the sand over the 2010
> problem. Do I really have to face it?
>
> Betty
> bettyy at earthlink dot net

Betty,

The seconds thing is a minor inconvenience but not insurmountable. As
mentioned in a previous message, I time my coffee to the half-minute. I hum
the musical intro of one of my favourite Radiohead songs, ("the tourist"),
which I know well enough to hum it exactly at the speed of the original.
It's 30 seconds to within less than half a second. I use the time to gently
stir the coffee, and as the first line is sung I tap the minute timer to do
4 minutes. It never misses, and I'm pouring the coffee to the strains of
the song's climactic refrain at the end.

No one's ever refused a 2nd cup... :D

Shalom.
Christian

łAny sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from a NewtonPad.˛
            -- in appreciation of Arthur C. Clarke

http://homepage.mac.com/chodlang1/iMovieTheater16.html
(With thanks to Chod Lang)

Fight Spam! Join EuroCAUCE: http://www.euro.cauce.org/