[NTLK] Need help with UnixNPI (Linux/FreeBSD)

From: <knowtree_at_aloha.com>
Date: Mon Dec 18 2006 - 13:40:41 EST

I just installed UnixNPI on my FreeBSD box. Compiled fine, runs fine except
I don't get a connection. The MP is a 2100.

Here is the command line and program output (I am running as root):

# ./unixnpi -d /dev/cuaa0 "Notion 2.0.pkg"

UnixNPI - a Newton Package Installer for Unix platforms
Version 1.1.4 by Richard C. L. Li, Victor Rehorst, Chayam Kirshen
patches by Phil <phil@squack.COM>, Heinrik Lipka
This program is distributed under the terms of the GNU GPL: see the file
COPYING
Waiting to connect

I have a serial cable from a Newton Connection Kit for Windows (9 pin
D-shell to Apple DIN) plugged into a dongle.

First off, what is supposed to happen? Am I supposed to open the I/O
window? Do I have to initiate the download at the Newton end, or will
something pop open to tell me a package is ready to download?

I am running FreeBSD 5.4. There are two forms of serial port names, for
call-in (terminals) and call-out (modems used to dial out). My example
shows the call-out form, which does not wait for Carrier Detect to open the
port. I also tried /dev/ttyd0, with the same result.

I hope that someone who has this working will spot my mistake(s).

Thanks in advance,

Gary Dunn
Honolulu
MP110, MP2100