Re: [NTLK] Need help with UnixNPI (Linux/FreeBSD)

From: <knowtree_at_aloha.com>
Date: Mon Dec 18 2006 - 14:41:49 EST

Victor Rehorst wrote:
> knowtree@aloha.com wrote:
> > I just installed UnixNPI on my FreeBSD box. Compiled fine, runs fine except
> > I don't get a connection. The MP is a 2100.
> >
> > Here is the command line and program output (I am running as root):
> >
> > # ./unixnpi -d /dev/cuaa0 "Notion 2.0.pkg"
> >
> > I have a serial cable from a Newton Connection Kit for Windows (9 pin
> > D-shell to Apple DIN) plugged into a dongle.
> >
> > First off, what is supposed to happen? Am I supposed to open the I/O
> > window? Do I have to initiate the download at the Newton end, or will
> > something pop open to tell me a package is ready to download?
>
> 1. Run UnixNPI, as you've already figured out
> 2. Open "Dock" on the 2100, choose the "Serial" connection option and tap
> Connect.
>
> In Newton Dock protocol connections, the Newton initiates the connection -
> that's why you weren't getting very far ;)

Ah ha! I knew it would be something silly like that. I thought docking
referred to a physical docking station. It worked beautifully!

# ./unixnpi -d /dev/cuaa0 "Notion 2.0.pkg"

UnixNPI - a Newton Package Installer for Unix platforms
Version 1.1.4 by Richard C. L. Li, Victor Rehorst, Chayam Kirshen
patches by Phil <phil@squack.COM>, Heinrik Lipka
This program is distributed under the terms of the GNU GPL: see the file
COPYING
Waiting to connect
Connected
Handshaking......
      Notion 2.0.pkg 100% |********************************| 177112
Finished!!

I am impressed that your team was able to code this up so that it compiles
and runs without modification under FreeBSD. Must be very clean code.

Is there a way to get note text back to my FreeBSD workstation?

Gary Dunn
Honolulu
MP110, MP2100