Re: [NTLK] ]MP2100 internet over ethernet: Roundup?

From: Karel Jansens <kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be>
Date: Wed Feb 22 2006 - 12:48:20 EST

Matt Howe schreef:
> I might not be the best person to answer this but I have mine operating.
>
> I have it set to Manual
> Subnet, IP, Gateway and two DNS server addresses are all entered manually.
> The gateway is the address of my router (D-Link hardware, previously a PC
> running WinRoute)
> I have the Domain name set to my home network workgroup.

I might try that again, but the first time my Newton hickupped over the
DNS server addresses, complaining they didn't "do" anything. It appears
my ISP's DNS servers override the ones in the router anyway, and for
some reason the Newton gets confused.

> I have the following packages loaded:
> Atlan (Atlanv8.pkg, driver for my IBM based Ethernet card)
> Newton Devices (NewtDev.pkg Newton Ethernet driver)
> Newton Internet Enabler (Be sure to install NIE 2.0)
> NIE Ethernet Module (EnetSup.pkg)
>
> I followed the instructions posted on the WikiwikiNewt site:
> http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/EthernetDrivers
>
> And that's how it works for me.
>
> Let me know if I can help any more.

The driver side is completely covered. I previously had this Newton
hooked up to a Linux box that did print serving for the Newton (this
became redundant after I plonked an AppleTalk card in my laser printer),
so ethernet on itself works. And NIE 2.0 is installed as well, as I
didn't know at the time if I could get ethernet working without NIE.

In any case, my card shows up on all the slips, and it even starts
working when I connect; it's just the DHCP part of the connection
(admitted: the crucial part) that boinks.

Karel Jansens