[NTLK] (Slightly OT) Power via USB

From: Jon Scordia (jscordia_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Jan 02 2006 - 03:12:30 PST

Hi list. And especially Adriano, who's NewtUSB product is one element
of this query....

Firstly Happy New Year to everyone!

I'm nervous about the implications of trying to charge any device
from an unauthorised source. I've heard stories about Newtons being
fried by the use of the wrong Apple charger. I have similar concerns
about charging my Sonyericsson P910i phone/pda and recharging digital
camera batteries all of which I use all of the time. Oh, and an iPod

My point is that I now find USB charging leads available for all of
them, and car cigarette lighter/USB adaptors available to provide one
source of power to the cables that I would find very handy.

I assume that USB power from, say a laptop, mac or PC, is going to
be a standard and therefore (Adriano?) safe source of the correct
voltage/current. Particularly to the Newton. Being a dumb cable it'll
simply pass whatever the car cigarette lighter puts out. Is this a
safe source of power?

Thanks to you all for keeping me wise in '05, and hopefully
preventing me from making my first mistake of '06!

Regards

Jon