Re: [NTLK] [OT] mySTEP

From: Nicolas Roard (nicolas.roard_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Jan 09 2006 - 08:57:12 PST

On 1/9/06, Thomas Isenbarger <isen_at_charter.net> wrote:
> i am curious what people here have to say about this?
>
> http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20581
>
> "mySTEP is a clone of mGStep/GNUstep for providing compatibility to
> the Cocoa framework (Foundation + AppKit). This is to enable porting
> applications from MacOS X to the Sharp Zaurus platform."
>
> here is one comment:
>
> A Macintosh PDA!
> This is an amazing achievement! On the basis of what has been created
> here, the Sharp Zaurus PDA essentially becomes a Cocoa-based mini-
> Macintosh. The possibilities are limitless.
> I think the creator should consider contacting Sharp and/or Apple
> directly about licensing this software so that both companies might
> work on developing this product.
> I look forward to seeing what develops from this project!

No need to licence anything; first, GNUstep is a GNU project, under
the LGPL licence.
mySTEP is also LGPL (mySTEP beeing an old fork of GNUstep). Actually
there was some talks recently on the gnustep mailing list to integrate
some of the mySTEP modifs (I think mainly the HWR engine and perhaps
the light xml lib) back in GNUstep, considering GNUstep has many more
developers and that some devs like myself would like to have a
GNUstep-based environment on their nokia 770 or Sharp pda ;-)
-- ah, if only we had more free time ..

While Sharp /could/ be interested by such an environment (why not),
that's doubtful considering they are promoting other linux
environments for their PDAs who also have more followers. Apple
wouldn't be interested -- they already own Cocoa..

--
Nicolas Roard
  -Arthur C. Clarke