Re: [NTLK] Fighting Complacency within the Newton Community

From: Matthew Surles <minimicrite_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun Jul 30 2006 - 23:36:25 EDT

I admitted I'm a lurker. I do not harbor any guilt for this. I
simply do not have the time to respond to every every posting on the
'net, this list included. I use the Newton, I enjoy the Newton, but
it is not my first priority. I appreciate those people who are more
interested in the Newton than I, because it makes my experience just
that much better.

I don't see the correlation between mailing list involvement and
"complacency" in the community. The Leica User's Group list, of which
I am also a member, has maybe forty or so regular posters. Does the
pro photojournalist who uses an aresenal of Leica gear, and is not and
has never been subscribed to the LUG contribute less to the Leica
community than the hobbyist who posts daily on the mailing list, but
only takes a roll of film a week?

The problem was not that you were trying to get people motivated, but
that you were locking out the majority of this list's members. And,
locking newbies out from the only support for the Newton just doesn't
make any sense. Without new users, the Newton community _would_ die.

There has to be a better solution. Maybe programming challenges? Or
convincing programming hobbyists, computer science students, etc, to
start programming for the Newton again, or assist with the Einstein
project?

My 2 bits...
-matthew surles