Re: [NTLK] Cheap Einstein Platform?

From: randy on the road <rgore_at_newted.dyndns.org>
Date: Wed Jun 07 2006 - 21:10:18 EDT

Jon Glass wrote:
> On 6/7/06, Andrew Diller <dillera@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> For $150 more you get the touchscreen and Nokia's superb engineering.
>>

> You mean for almost double the price.... There is a big difference
> between the two, which could make a big difference to a lot of us.
> However, IMO, the lack of a touch screen is a deal-killer. I would
> like, however, to see Einstein on a Palm T/X. That would be awesome,
> and costs less than $300.... It's the same screen resolution as the 2k
> series, and ARM. But I don't know how one could get Einstein to boot
> on it...

Dudes and Dudettes,

    The TX is a natural. I got one this year and have found myself
using it almost exclusively in landscape mode like my newt. There used
to be some linux on palm activity when Palms were still using the 680x0
family chips. I haven't followed it for a while so don't know about the
latest stuff. Would it be too much overhead to do Newton on linux on
palm? Access says the next PalmOs is linux. Palm's been waiting for an
new OS almost as long as Newton. :-) I think the TX is the first Palm
with nonvolatile flash. It takes a 2GB SD without trouble and with some
funny business (stealing the FAT32 drivers from the LifeDrive) can see
4GB SD cards. I almost bought the Nokia 770 when I bought the TX... had
I know that Newton might have ended up on the Nokia; I'd have the Nokia
right now.

cheers,

Randy