Re: [NTLK] Newton Museum DVD Torrent - What is a .DMG file?

From: Adriano <adriano.angelillis_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue Jun 27 2006 - 16:44:51 EDT

27/giu/06 Morgan Aldridge wrote:

> The '.cdr' format which Disk Utility.app (and probably the 'hdiutil'
> command line utility) can generate is a bit-for-bit image, so is safe
> to burn from most Windows, Linux, etc., burning applications, but
> many '.dmg' files are compressed and so are probably not safe to burn.

I am using a script to convert via command line the .dmg archive to
an .iso.cdr
which will be compatible with systems as Windows and Linux, as you
well pointed.

Apart from that nor the .dmg neither the .iso archives will be ready
to burn
cause once expanded they occupies more than 9GB which won't fit a DVD
DL (8.5GB).

On MacOSX one will mount the disc on Finder and will then copy the
files to be burnt separately.

> However, if it works for you, great! If you want to attempt it, I
> hope you don't mind making coasters. Otherwise you'll want to use the
> utilities that Victor notes below.

Pardon me, what does 'making coasters' means?

Cheers,

Adriano

> --
> morgant@makkintosshu.com
> http://www.makkintosshu.com/
>
> On Jun 27, 2006, at 4:05 PM, Victor Rehorst wrote:
>
>> Clayton Fixsen wrote:
>>> Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only thing you have to do with a
>>> (non
>>> encrypted) .dmg file to burn it using Nero is just change the file
>>> extension