Re: [NTLK] What's the max ATA card you've gotten to work?

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Tue Mar 07 2006 - 21:24:20 EST

Thomas Tempelmann wrote:
> On 3/7/06, joshua james <doomsdaygap@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On a related note, does anyone have any thoughts on the most space efficient
>> way to produce a newton book? There's no way to read straight .txt files is
>> there? I've created a few with Press but they always come out surprisingly
>> large.
>
> I use Paperback - comes with an app to make a Paperback pkg on my Mac
> and a reader on the Newton. Very compact. Only disadvantage: Does not
> remember the last read position after a Newton's restart, so finding
> the last position again is a bit annoying.

Yes and it does not have bookmarks either. If you just create simple
books, then Bookmaker or Press will work well (and create a slightly
smaller book as it does not need a extra reader installed). The biggest
advantage of Paperback is makes books FAST. But if the original text is
in good shape, then you can make a nice book with Bookmaker in 10
minutes or less (but it does have a bit more of learning curve than
Press, but faster in the long run). Oh paperback will also resize the
font on the fly, which many also like.

BTW-one trick to keep from loosing your place during a restart is to
select a sentence from the book and paste it to notes and label the note
"my current place in book xxxxx". Then when you do a reset you just
search in find for that sentence to get back to where you left off. It
is a extra step, but it does work. Personally I prefer to just close
the book and have it remember my place (hence I am a fan of bookmaker).

-Dan