Re: [NTLK] Stiff keys on keyboard

From: Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue Mar 28 2006 - 18:34:45 EST

On 3/28/06, Andy Hill <adhill@nerdshack.com> wrote:
> I recently purchased a Newton keyboard and have found the keys to be
> very stiff.
> I really have to type hard, in fact the effort is more trouble than its
> worth, so it has been relegated to the shelf.
> I think the reason might be that it hasn't been used.
>
> Could anyone advise me if this is normal and whether I can do anything
> to make the keys less stiff?

Andy,

Here's a thought about your situation.
When I read this I first thought that you are like many others who
have purchased a Newton (other brand keyboard) which has a rubber
buttons underneath the keys... I wanted to make sure before I stated
this so I ran over to Frank's site.

http://www.pda-soft.de/keyboard_disassemble.html

to double check... and yes it was confirmed..

I would venture to guess that the runner keys underneath (possibly
silicone rubber mat of keys) are drying out (it's lost it's moisture -
but can they be re-hydrated again?)... and because of this they are
harder and don't giev so much when you press on the actual key caps...

The only possible solution would be to replace this as Franks site
indicates this is not removable from my prior reading I oculdbe
wrong.. my other Newotn Keyboards are usually easy to press but I do
have one that's a bit harder to press but not as hard as you
describe...

I HTH and you are able to find a solution...

--
God bless,
Sonny Hung