Re: [NTLK] Why I don't buy from Knowledge Navigator (Example #3)

From: Jim Witte <jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us>
Date: Mon May 08 2006 - 11:28:00 EDT

On May 8, 2006, at 10:24 AM, Jon Glass wrote:
> and yet others, I believe, do it because they think that people
> won't pay attention until it's too late--and in this, they are
> usually correct

   Except that when you do a search on eBay, it lists the BIN price,
or current bid, and then right next to it it lists the shipping. I
figured that it was this (people are silly anyway - it's the [x]x.
99.9 gas price phenomenon) - and I just accept it.

   What annoys me is that in the BIN-only section, shipping is NOT
listed, and there are many times I've noticed that the same item will
be listed by the same seller, each at a slightly different price, and
slightly different shipping. And so I have to go to each page in
order to figure out which is actually less.. Is this just more
psychology tricks (how many people are ACTUALLY going to go to that
trouble), or is it that Ebay won't allow you to list as separate BIN
auctions items with the same price/shipping? (And so they're going
for visibility here, just like any good capitalist should - and any
maddening trip down the haircare or toothpaste aile of the grocery
store will confirm this very easily.. But I digress.)

   As for KN's allegedly unethical practices, I'm not familiar with
his sales or the beginning of this thread (yet), so will withhold
judgement.

Jim