Re: [NTLK] Why I don't buy from Knowledge Navigator (Example #3)

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Mon May 08 2006 - 10:24:20 EDT

On 5/8/06, hellsop@ninehells.com <hellsop@ninehells.com> wrote:
> days. I can't imagine why anything Newton-related would cost CN$40 and
> up to ship unless he's charging for cab fare from his house to the post
> office as well.

Not to justify what he's doing (because I don't buy from anybody on
eBay who practices this) but it is a fairly common practice on eBay to
charge rather exorbitant shipping/handling fees. Some people do it to
get around eBay fees (BIN $1.00 for a video, and then charge $10 for
shipping/handling). And others do it because the items are popular or
it is a seller's market (newton products?), and yet others, I believe,
do it because they think that people won't pay attention until it's
too late--and in this, they are usually correct. However, these sorts
of things are still, IMO, unethical, and I always carefully look over
an auction, and will not bid in such cases. I also believe that these
practices tend to hurt the seller, as people who pay any attention
tend to avoid such sellers, and I've seen multiples of some BIN-only
"auctions" go un-sold, due, I believe, to these sorts of practices.
IMO, what KN is doing is about the worst--two different fees,
depending. One is the "advertised" fee, and the other is the "fine
print" fee. That is just plain deceptive, and I hope that he reads
these things and changes his practice. He has been responsive more-so
of late, so let's hope he continues this positive trend. ;-)

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland