Re: [NTLK] Connecting a 2100 to modern iMac via serial cable

From: Mike Richards <mike_richards_at_mac.com>
Date: Wed May 10 2006 - 13:55:01 EDT

On 10 May 2006, at 02:19, Woody Smith wrote:

> I suspect that your problem is that once the drivers for the serial/
> usb are installed in os x they are not available to classic, at least
> this is the case for KeySpan.
> Use Steven Frank's NewTen to install packages over serial. Works in
> OS X.
> see <http://www.stevenf.com/software/newten/>
> No offense but have a look at the newbie section of wikiwikinewt for
> additional connection info
> see <http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/NewtonNewbieGuide>
> Set your Newt up to use appletalk over ethernet and you will be able
> to use NCU in Classic.
>
> On May 9, 2006, at 6:12 PM, Mike Richard

Thanks for the welcome Woody,

So it looks like connecting via Serial is a bust :(

Okay I'm now trying to use WiFi. I've got a Lucent Turbo Silver card
and configured it exactly as at:

  http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/WiFi

However, and you knew this was coming, I can't get the Newton to find
my Mac.

(Appletalk is enabled on the Mac in OS9 and MacOSX, WiFi is enabled
on the Mac. My wireless router is a Belkin which takes the IP number
192.168.2.1, the Mac has been allocated 192.168.2.2, DHCP has been
set to automatic)

When I try to use the Newton's Dock, I select [Appletalk] and then
[Connect to...] [Other computer...] The WiFi card becomes active
(hurrah!), but the Newton never finds another MacOS computer (boo!)

Sorry, I know this is sounding really dumb - but what am I doing wrong?

Mike.