Re: [NTLK] What to get next..?

From: Frank Gruendel <newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de>
Date: Thu Oct 05 2006 - 19:01:05 EDT

> The question is simply this: should I go for an eMate or hang out for
> 2x00 model? What is a reasonable price for an eMate these days? I've
seen
> anything from £20 - £50 depending on the auction.

Be aware that any of these will eventually turn into an (albeit
beautiful)
paperweight due to the infamous hinge spring problem. If you can't fix
this
yourself, the cost of fixing it would have to be added to the purchase
price. See

    http://www.pda-soft.de/emte_disassemble.html

if you don't know about the hinge spring problem.

> I'm guessing the 2x00 models go for closer to £100?

Quite often they go for more.

> I'm erring towards an eMate because of the built in serial port.

That's definitely a benefit. Another benefit is that it has a
keyboard. But it is much slower than a 2000 or a 2100. And it has
only one fourth of the heap memory of the 2100. You can add a memory
upgrade to an eMate, but these are hard to come by and about as
expensive
as the same weight in gold.

If you want, I can send you one to play with. If you don't want it and
I get it back in the same condition I sent it in, all it'd cost you is
what I paid for shipping it at cost, plus of course the cost of shipping
it back.

Cheers

Frank