[NTLK] eMate maximum addressable RAM? (was: Re: What to get next..?)

From: Alex Perez <aperez_at_alexperez.com>
Date: Thu Oct 05 2006 - 20:11:18 EDT

Frank Gruendel wrote:
[sni[]

>> I'm guessing the 2x00 models go for closer to £100?
>
> Quite often they go for more.

I was extremely lucky, and picked my MessagePad 200 up for USD $87, or
£47 including shipping. In pristine condition; Nary a scratch anywhere
to be found! It was a steal of a deal..came in a branded Newton
zip-case, with the official Newton Keyboard, a DB9-DIN9, DIN9-Newton
Interconnect connector-dongle-thingy for the Newton Keyboard, as well
as two AA battery inserts. The deals are out there. Don't be afraid to
bid on an item from the USA if the shipper has decent feedback and is
willing to ship abroad, you very well may find yourself with a decent
deal as a result, as long as you're willing to wait.

>> I'm erring towards an eMate because of the built in serial port.

Personally, I wouldn't give this factor as much weight as I would have
even a year ago, now that the embedded USB to Serial interface has been
announced. I'm also working on embedding a Bluetooth Serial Profile
bridge module inside my MessagePad, so there's always those two things
to consider, as they are both on the horizon, and have what will likely
be fairly concrete arrival times. Then again, you can pick up eMates for
under $20 on eBay in the US recently. I just won one which ended up
coming with an (undocumented) 4MB card in it, from 'therecyclequeen' on
eBay. It was a little scratched up on the outside, and had clearly been
used inside a classroom, but I was able to clean a lot of the plastic
transfer and pencil scrawlings on the outside of the case with less than
  30 minutes' work.

> That's definitely a benefit. Another benefit is that it has a
> keyboard. But it is much slower than a 2000 or a 2100. And it has
> only one fourth of the heap memory of the 2100. You can add a memory
> upgrade to an eMate, but these are hard to come by and about as
> expensive
> as the same weight in gold.

Indeed. In fact, they're so damned expensive, I bet we could band
together and manufacture them in small quantities for nearly the same
price, and probably with a LOT more flash and RAM memory on board,
subject to address range/addressability concerns.

This reminds me, does anyone here know what the current MP2x00 and/or
eMate maximum addressable heap/RAM range is? I'd really like to know this.

We really ought to branch this discussion off into another, proper,
thread, if anyone wants to discuss this. Frank, perhaps you know?

> If you want, I can send you one to play with. If you don't want it and
> I get it back in the same condition I sent it in, all it'd cost you is
> what I paid for shipping it at cost, plus of course the cost of shipping
> it back.

Such a nice guy! You rock.