[NTLK] IMAP and SMTP via SSL/TLS (was: Re: Mail V and Gmail)

From: Alex Perez <aperez_at_alexperez.com>
Date: Thu Oct 05 2006 - 23:22:07 EDT

Javier Monllor wrote:
> I see now that gmail requires SSL for both reading and sending email.
> I guess I'll have to settle with only reading my university mail. My
> university account allows me to read my email (no SSL) but I can't
> send as both it and gmail requires SSL for smtp.

Sounds like someone needs to write an SSL implementation for the Newton
which allows you to connect to "localhost" and listens on the
IMAP-SSL/TLS and/or SMTP-SSL/TLS ports without SSL and simply passes
what it gets along to the configured mail server, stripping the SSL
encoded packets it sends to localhost-initiated connections. Your
connections would still be SSL encrypted, just not from the daemon
running on one's Newton to the client running on the same newton :)

This could be useful for stuff beyond SMTP and IMAP, if adapted in a
generic enough way. HTTPS), etc.

Things like this exist for unix, and someone with the correct knowledge
(or multiple someone's willing to put up a bounty) might be able to port
it. Is there any kind of POSIX compatibility layer for the Newton? heh.
I doubt it, but I can see such a thing perhaps being useful for daemons.

SSL and it's big brother, TLS, are a good idea anyways, and I'd
encourage anyone out there to use them whenever it's possible. Service
providers requiring either SSL or TLS this isn't a bad thing, generally
speaking.

Alex Perez