Re: [NTLK] WiFi issues with Newton 2x00

From: Dana W Cook <danacook88_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Oct 09 2006 - 19:14:17 EDT

Hello all -

Still trying to get this WiFi thing going on my MP2000. The Linksys WPC11
v1.0 card is recognized by the unit. Using enRoute does not seem to work
and I am in the process of installing Mail V as this seems to be the program
folks are referring to on this list. Anyone have thoughts of LunaSuite?
Also, my Internet Setup does not provide me with entry fields for Subnet
Mask or DNS or IP address. As described on a website (cannot recall which).

My question concerns WEP. I understand from being on this list for the past
month or so that the author of the LucentWaveLAN_v108a.pkg drivers is MIA
and therefore we are unable to register our usage and as a result, do not
have access to the WEP functionality. I know this is more of a networking
question, but I find it odd if anyone using their Newt for eMail would run
around the home leaving their network unsecure without WEP. Any workarounds
or did most just get the driver pkg prior to the author's seclusion?

The only workaround that I can envision is to setup a computer (I have spare
linux and win boxes and a dead G4 in the garage) that will be CAT5 wired to
the network and set it up with an Ad-Hoc Wireless to allow the Newt to
communicate with it. All you networking geniuses out there - would this
work? Or more specifically, will this allow me to get my Newton up as my
main email device and still maintain WEP security for all other devices on
the network (except for the Ad-Hoc'd box that will be outside the DMZ?

Respectfully,

Dana