Re: [NTLK] WiFi issues with Newton 2x00

From: Martin Joseph <NT_at_stillnewt.org>
Date: Tue Oct 10 2006 - 00:31:47 EDT

On Oct 9, 2006, at 4:14 PM, Dana W Cook wrote:

> Still trying to get this WiFi thing going on my MP2000. The
> Linksys WPC11
> v1.0 card is recognized by the unit. Using enRoute does not seem
> to work
> and I am in the process of installing Mail V as this seems to be
> the program
> folks are referring to on this list. Anyone have thoughts of
> LunaSuite?
Supposedly buggy, based on info posted here over the years.
> Also, my Internet Setup does not provide me with entry fields for
> Subnet
> Mask or DNS or IP address. As described on a website (cannot recall
> which).
What kind of internet setup? If you select manually instead of DHCP,
you should be able to see those.

> My question concerns WEP. I understand from being on this list for
> the past
> month or so that the author of the LucentWaveLAN_v108a.pkg drivers
> is MIA
> and therefore we are unable to register our usage and as a result,
> do not
> have access to the WEP functionality. I know this is more of a
> networking
> question, but I find it odd if anyone using their Newt for eMail
> would run
> around the home leaving their network unsecure without WEP. Any
> workarounds
> or did most just get the driver pkg prior to the author's seclusion?
There is no workaround that I am aware of, although one posted that
you CAN configure WEP for some number of days after initially
installing the demo, and that it will continue working, but cannot be
changed later. This is a rumor only as far as I know.

> The only workaround that I can envision is to setup a computer (I
> have spare
> linux and win boxes and a dead G4 in the garage) that will be CAT5
> wired to
> the network and set it up with an Ad-Hoc Wireless to allow the Newt to
> communicate with it. All you networking geniuses out there - would
> this
> work? Or more specifically, will this allow me to get my Newton up
> as my
> main email device and still maintain WEP security for all other
> devices on
> the network (except for the Ad-Hoc'd box that will be outside the DMZ?
Yes, that is conceivable. Although you might have to manually
configure you IP/DNS, depending on your DHCP server. You can also
just buy a cheap wireless router, as many of these are available for
well under $50(US) if you hunt, and you only need 802.11b.

As discussed here previously, WEP really isn't much of a "secure"
system anyhow, as anyone with a half a brain and a PC can crack it in
a moment. Still, I agree with those that have said that something is
better then nothing as far as security goes...

Hope some of this helps a bit.

marty