Re: [NTLK] Battery re-cell service?

From: Adam Goddard <pashosh_at_tpg.com.au>
Date: Wed Oct 11 2006 - 08:03:31 EDT

On 11/10/2006, at 9:49 PM, Tony Morrow wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> Does anybody know of someone or someplace that would re-cell a Newton
> 2000 battery back for me?
>
> I got my Newton about 18 months ago and since then I've been using my
> own hack job to power the newton. I cut the original battery pack
> open (following the instructions at http://www.pda-soft.de) and put
> some cheap rechargeable batteries in. They worked, but the amount of
> current the Newton supplied was too much and the batteries would
> never fully charge. So for the past several months I have been
> removing the batteries from the tray and charging them in a wall
> charger then putting them back in the tray. Everything was working
> great until yesterday. I went to put the second battery in and I some
> how shorted it out. The battery got hot and melted a hole through the
> tray. So now I guess I need to buy a new tray. I was looking at
> getting a defective tray at J&K Sales INC for $8.00 and paying for it
> to be re-celled. I would like to get rid of this headache of
> batteries and charging once and for all.
>
> Any help would be appreciated,
> Tony

I bought two of the defective mp2k batteries from J&K for this purpose
and checked them and they showed 0V, gave 'em a kick of voltage and
then put them in my reconditioner for a day. My girlfriend and myself
use these packs now daily and want to use them until they are really
dead before I recell them. Where are you located?

Regards,
   - Adam Goddard