Re: [NTLK] [OT] Coffee & the Newt [was "Re: 2010?"]

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Sat Sep 02 2006 - 02:04:54 EDT

On 9/1/06, Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jon! Thank you! You've just become a hero to me! Access through notepad
> is fine. ** does little coffee dance **

Glad I could help!

> the different methods. Unlike you I generally avoid sugar (except in
> Mediterranean where it's de rigueur) and I loathe "cow-juice" in coffee as a
> rule.

Well, good coffee I can drink black, but I started drinking coffee
when I was about 4. I would steal from my dad's cup, so he started
making me my own coffee--really sweet, weak, and lots of milk. So, how
I got started is how I ended. ;-) However, I find cream useful for
killing the bitterness of over-burnt coffee at restaurants, etc. and
just enough sweetness to balance the cream. I don't like a lot of
either... and good coffee don't need it. ;-)

> > ...I've never had an occasion to try this stuff--I know it has to be made
> > by someone who knows what they are doing, and I have yet to meet one
> > of those someones...
> >
> Now you've met me; when I'll manage a trip to Poland is another question...

Well, you are invited!!!! This week, we had our second NTLK guest
visit us, and we are open to any others! Our whole family loves
guests. :-)

> > I do enjoy a Polish favorite when I don't have my express. Measure out
> > your grounds into your cup, pour boiling hot water, wait for the
> > grounds to settle, and drink. ...
>
> This sounds interesting. Out of curiosity, about how long does it take for
> the grounds to sink? And is that coffee ground finely, as for espresso, or
> coarser for a percolator or a drip? I'm guessing it went badly in the USA
> because of the differences in the kind of bean and/or the fineness or
> coarseness of the grind.

I've never timed it, but maybe 4-5 minutes. And I think the grounds
are smaller. I do know this, American coffee (the normal kind you buy
in vac packs) is like boulders in comparison! My poor wife, the whole
time we were in the states had to grind my coffee when she bought it.
;-) I think also, that most American coffees aren't roasted as long,
but I do know that drinking "normal" American coffee has always been
like drinking water to me. However, this past year, I noticed far more
choices than before, and I did find some coffee that my wife didn't
always have to grind. Sorry, I forget the brand.

> Sounds as though a few of us could have a good time comparing notes and
> trying different coffees. A dream is hatching for a Newt-and-coffee
> meeting. Complete with a discussion of different ways to use our Newts in
> the process of making coffee of course.

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland