Re: [NTLK] Shout out to developers

From: Steven Frank <stevenf_at_panic.com>
Date: Sat Sep 02 2006 - 16:14:16 EDT

Also there is a potential problem with aiming for a cross-platform
syncing solution.
First of all, cross-platform applications are harder to develop, and
it's going to be harder to find a developer with the necessary
proficiency and resources.

Second of all, with cross-platform, you tend to end up with a program
that's good-but-not-great on all the platforms it runs on.

By way of example, the best possible outcome for the Mac side would
probably be an iSync plugin. This is, by definition, not cross-
platform. Similarly, on Windows, you would want Outlook
integration. Outlook doesn't exist on the Mac, and even if it did,
their plug-ins would not be interchangeable.

So, I'm not sure if I'm advocating picking one platform, or having
two separate projects, but beware the potential cross-platform
albatross...

Steven
http://panic.com/
http://stevenf.com/