Re: [NTLK] Disassembly tips [Was "Re: Changing motherboard"]

From: Ed Kummel <tech_ed_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Sep 05 2006 - 11:43:07 EDT

*CRACKING* open a Newt 2000 case is quite sickening. You think you have it but the two halves refuse to separate. I used a beveled wooden pry tool....And you dig and pry and dig some more...and regardless of how careful you are, once the case separates, it does so with the most disheartening snap and crunch of plastic...You just KNOW that something snapped in the process...(I liken this to the sound of a car being hit....you near the screech of the tires, and anticipate the *CRUNCH* of the impact...it's a sound that heard once, you will never forget)
  And yet, a preliminary examination of the tabs and hangers shows that nothing broke...miraculously!
  Ed
  web/gadget guru
  Download Newton packages directly onto your Newton: http://newton.tek-ed.com

Jon Glass <jonglass@usa.net> wrote:
    <SNIP>
  . BTW, it's not so much
"prying" as it is simply pushing with the tip. No prying, and no
danger. And the same pushing sometimes helps with plugs that don't
have those wings. It's more for the leverage than anything. But like I
said, when you see these things, you will understand what I mean...

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland