Re: [NTLK] Disassembly tips [Was "Re: Changing motherboard"]

From: Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue Sep 05 2006 - 12:10:24 EDT

~~~ On 2006/09/05 16:43, Ed Kummel at tech_ed@yahoo.com wrote ~~~

> *CRACKING* open a Newt 2000 case is quite sickening. You think you have it but
> the two halves refuse to separate. I used a beveled wooden pry tool....And you
> dig and pry and dig some more...and regardless of how careful you are, once
> the case separates, it does so with the most disheartening snap and crunch of
> plastic...You just KNOW that something snapped in the process...(I liken this
> to the sound of a car being hit....you near the screech of the tires, and
> anticipate the *CRUNCH* of the impact...it's a sound that heard once, you will
> never forget)
> And yet, a preliminary examination of the tabs and hangers shows that nothing
> broke...miraculously!
> Ed
> web/gadget guru
> Download Newton packages directly onto your Newton: http://newton.tek-ed.com
>
> Jon Glass <jonglass@usa.net> wrote:
> <SNIP>
> . BTW, it's not so much
> "prying" as it is simply pushing with the tip. No prying, and no
> danger. And the same pushing sometimes helps with plugs that don't
> have those wings. It's more for the leverage than anything. But like I
> said, when you see these things, you will understand what I mean...

Thanks to Jon and Ed. And Ed, a big thanks for that warning about the sound
of it. I'm the kind of person who does stuff like this slowly, especially
the first few times. Combined with a refusal to risk using too much
pressure, it means I've never broken anything with haste or excessive force.
Unfortunately, it also means that in this instance, at the first sign of
that kind of resistance I'd refuse to continue and Newt would stay broken.
It also means that if somehow I kept going and got that sound, I'd probably
die of heart failure!

It looks like I'll be doing this next week when time permits me. Ugh!

Shalom.
Christian

łAny sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from a NewtonPad.˛
            -- in appreciation of Arthur C. Clarke

http://homepage.mac.com/chodlang1/iMovieTheater16.html
(With thanks to Chod Lang)

Fight Spam! Join EuroCAUCE: http://www.euro.cauce.org/