Re: [NTLK] ANN: Internal USB "Port"

From: Alex Perez <aperez_at_alexperez.com>
Date: Wed Sep 27 2006 - 05:59:45 EDT

Adam Goddard wrote:
> List members,
> This year, as a side project to my university studies, I've been
> designing an internal USB to Serial daughter card similar to Mr
> PCBMan's SER001 adapter. I'm just getting some final samples and
> "ironing out the kinks" as it were, and looking for a decent PCB
> manufacturing facility preferably within the Australasia region to save
> on shipping expenses for you. Should be released in mid December, all
> things going well.

Excellent! This sounds like a great step in the right direction,
although I'd love to see a *true* USB port for the Newton, as well. Is
there a projected price-point, including shipping, at this juncture?

> Firstly, I would like to get some kind of idea of how many boards I
> should be making. I'm going for 100 for starters, and then resume
> another production run after that. They won't be too expensive, I hope.
> I'm just going to be happy to put something into this community that
> has given me and many others so much.

I'm definitely interested, and I know at least one other person who is.
I can ask around, also, as I know a smattering of Newton users here and
there.

I'm going to be nit-picky for a moment, here, and go on record stating
that I think it's much more accurate to call this product a USB-serial
bridge, since that's what it is: a bridge. It does not enable any sort
of true USB connectivity between one's Newton and any other USB devices,
unless I severely misunderstand your explanation. That's not to dismiss
it at all, but I do feel it's an important distinction to make.

Regards,
Alex Perez