Re: [NTLK] ANN: Internal USB "Port"

From: Adam Goddard <pashosh_at_tpg.com.au>
Date: Wed Sep 27 2006 - 10:38:08 EDT

On 27/09/2006, at 7:59 PM, Alex Perez wrote:
> Excellent! This sounds like a great step in the right direction,
> although I'd love to see a *true* USB port for the Newton, as well. Is
> there a projected price-point, including shipping, at this juncture?
>
> I'm definitely interested, and I know at least one other person who is.
> I can ask around, also, as I know a smattering of Newton users here and
> there.
>
> I'm going to be nit-picky for a moment, here, and go on record stating
> that I think it's much more accurate to call this product a USB-serial
> bridge, since that's what it is: a bridge. It does not enable any sort
> of true USB connectivity between one's Newton and any other USB
> devices,
> unless I severely misunderstand your explanation. That's not to dismiss
> it at all, but I do feel it's an important distinction to make.
>
> Regards,
> Alex Perez

I understand why you'd rather call it a bridge, as technically I do as
well, but it just sounds cooler. ^_^
I have basic NewtonScript skills, so the combination of both
integrating a USB host control chip and writing the drivers for the
Newton would be a considerable task for me. The overall cost for this
PCB should be about AU$35-40 which is, according to an exchange rate of
AU$1.332 per US$1, equates to US$26.27-$30.03. This is an early/rough
estimate, might be cheaper or maybe a little bit more expensive. It's
light, so shipping should be quite inexpensive. I'm hoping maybe a few
people on different continents who regularly do repairs/installations
can take a few dozen to make things easier for local Newtonians. I've
selected an IC which I hope will bring a balance of price, stability
and cross platform usage, with drivers for Winboxes, Macs, Linux and
Unix.

Regards,
   - Adam Goddard