Re: [NTLK] PCB Scanning...

From: Adam Goddard <pashosh_at_tpg.com.au>
Date: Tue Apr 10 2007 - 06:36:28 EDT

On 10/04/2007, at 11:59 AM, R. E. Young wrote:
> As my latest Messagepad 2100 motherboard is now dead, I was thinking
> of having the chip desoldered and the board professionally scanned,
> and producing a Gerber file of it. I was just wondering if this has
> been done, or if anyone has any advice for doing this?
>
> I figure if a bunch of people, myself included, does this to each pcb
> component, then there is potential for an individual to download said
> files and have the chip made up themselves, assembled, and such. In
> essence, keeping this wonderful piece of abandonware alive and
> well....
The PCB is multilayered. It would take many, many x-rays of the PCB
to find where all the tracks go. Unless we had the original gerber
work-files of the PCB, it's next to fruitless. Scanning the top and
bottom of the board will give you a rough identification of where
some connections may go underneath ICs, but the multilayered board is
such a pain for reverse engineers.

Regards,
   - Adam Goddard