Re: [NTLK] Newton reclassification

From: Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat Apr 28 2007 - 07:05:28 EDT

~~~ On 2007/04/28 03:43, Tony Kan at tonykan@xtra.co.nz wrote ~~~

> Ahh another handwriting lover. I have a Parker Sonnet and love the
> handwriting
> aesthetic. To be honest, the Newton has taught me to write even more neatly
> than I did before. It is still distinctly my handwriting style but cleaned up
> lot.
>
> Just be patient and form your script so that each letter is still distinct.
> Resist the urge to squiggle "ing"'s etc. Speed isn't everything.
>
> Sometimes the slower speed of handwriting gives me a chance to form and
> organise
> my thoughts properly before committing them to paper. Not a bad habit to
> have.
>
> Warm regards
>
> Tony Kan
>
> Christchurch
> New Zealand
>
> [snip]
> ...with my Parker 51....
> So: how is it done? Please discuss.
> [snip]
> Checked by AVG Free Edition.
> 12:19
> p.m.

...and this, I guess, is at the heart of it. I do love handwriting. I've
only ever owned and used fountain pens except for technical stuff, when I
use Rotring technical drawing pens. I don't like the feel of ball-points,
felt-tips, etc. Another great thing about the Newton (for me) is its
tactile quality: it gives me the feeling when I write that I'm using a
really well-made fountain pen, not a ballpoint.

And you're right about how using the Newt can improve normal handwriting.
I'm coming up to 2 years using a Newton and I think I can just detect the
beginnings of a return to a more legible handwriting for everyday purposes.
Being able to go back to writing most of the time rather than typing (thanks
to the Newton) has reminded me how much I enjoy the mechanics of it. A
couple more years like this, and people may start being able to read my
handwriting again, for the first time in decades!

Shalom.
Christian

łAny sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from a NewtonPad.˛
            -- What Arthur C. Clarke meant to say

http://homepage.mac.com/chodlang1/iMovieTheater16.html
(With thanks to Chod Lang)
http://tinyurl.com/29y2dl