Re: [NTLK] The Newton OS as a desktop OS was Re: Newton reclassification

From: William Pociengel <hseldon_at_my.wgu.edu>
Date: Mon Apr 30 2007 - 09:55:57 EDT

I had no issues with using it daily. The One big advantage is that I had
nothing to try and worry about syncing as everything was always in ONE
Friggin Place! That's the big problem with the whole sync this sync
that. When you learn to use a Franklin Planner and to do time management
they don't' tell you who to keep copies. they teach you how to do time
management. with everything in a single place then you always look in
one place and don't do, hmm did I sync with the last phone call?

At the time I used Eudora for email and I rarely used web based
anything. So my primary apps were, in descending order:

Schedule
To-do
email
Time reporting
Expenses
Writing

and then many little applets that just made life easier or that tweaked
the interface.

If I had to write something on the clients PC I used the newt for notes
and did the final on their machine. I sometimes wrote entire texts on
the newt but that was more rare. The newt and my cell phone were my
office. Oh I had a couple of games to play with during flights ;-)

I don't really consider having any annoyances at the time. But the
advantage is that all of these notes and schedules and such were always
with me. and I mean always. So my big advantage over anyone else is that
I could refer back to anything anytime. The palm users had glorified
Rolodex's. I was pretty much paperless as everything went into the newt.
As a matter of fact everything is STILL in there! I think the oldest
note data in my newt is like 1996 or so. OK just checked. It looks like
I switched over from my 2000 to the 2100 on Sept 2nd 1997. I spent 4:45
travel time to NY from home and then 4 hrs on project orientation, left
the office at 18:07

On Oct 3rd (my first note) I had a meeting about a presentation from
Novasoft on document management. I have a list of attendees, the key
points of the presentation, the product requirements, blah, blah, blah.
I was working at Deutsche Bank in NY

Now then do I NEED those old notes? well actually I have referred to
them before and I suppose I could archive them off but it doesn't bother
me to have them there for reference. the bits weight the same and I have
plenty of storage.

If I could take the functionality of my newton and put it in my 12"
powerbook I would need nothing else. If i could then dock this thing so
that I could use larger screens (multiples), keyboard and a pen then I
could have a single device that carried everything.

right now I have a powermac that I usually do my research on but then I
have a sync that happens everyday that keeps refreshing the powerbook. I
used to only use the powerbook but I was spoilt from using 3 21"
monitors for years, s I bought a G5 and am running a 24 & 20 inch screen
(as soon as i figure out what other video card then I'll be running the
other 20" monitor I have) I wish I had something faster that the 9650
but at least it has dual dvi (anyone out there with an X800XT AGP card
for sale??)

Does this answer your questions?

William

Tony Kan wrote:
> So how did you find it? What were your annoyances? How did you overcome some of them? What were the advantages?
>
> TIA
>
> Warm regards
>
> Tony Kan
>
> Christchurch
> New Zealand
>
> [snip]
> did it for about a year or more, everything email, writing, expenses,
> calendar, billing, everything
> [snip]

> Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Special knowledge can be a terrible disadvantage if it leads you too
far along a path that you cannot explain anymore.
Frank Herbert 'Dune'
William Pociengel
Office: 001-715-425-6769
Mobile: 001-715-338-4896