Re: [NTLK] OT Are we stupid?

From: Matt Howe <matthowe_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sat Aug 11 2007 - 12:37:29 EDT

I have to disagree. It is unreasonable to expect the Newton to sync to
software that didn't exist at the time it was created. On the other hand,
newer software should be backwards compatible, or at least offer a backwards
compatibility mode, which too few applications offer. One of the problems in
computers today is that every time there is an advance in hardware all of
the new software is written for that advance and will not work on the last
generation of hardware. Not that this is entirely bad but I don't want to
have to buy all new hardware every time some new game or app comes out.
Especially when it is not really new functionality but code bloat. Again, I
think more software needs to have a bit of backwards compatibility. I
wouldn't think it needs to be compatible to the beginning of time but at
least one or generations would be nice. Even worse is new hardware that
won't run old software. All of this multiboot and virtual machine
complications just to run an app we like because the new hardware won't? And
how many generations of computers have passed since our beloved Newtons were
made? But I do agree that technology is usually not a "must have". For me,
it is what do I want to play with today. Very little of my tech is needed.
Even my GPS. I spend more time programming it for a trip than I would take
navigating with map and compass. But the dang thing is just too much fun.
But that is my take on Tech.

Matt (Ducky) Howe
Owner of a MP2000U and an Emate
mhowe@gfn.org (Newton)
http://santa-duck.dyndns.org (Newton server)
matthowe@comcast.net (Desktop)
http://home.comcast.net/~mhowe41/ (desktop)

Oliver Brose wrote:
<snip>
I may not have much idea about networks in general,
but I know that once I get the Newt to see the Mac, it should be able
to connect to Escale. Yet that simply does not happen.
<snip>