Re: [NTLK] An Idea Regarding the Bootstrap

From: matthiasm <mm_at_matthiasm.com>
Date: Tue Aug 14 2007 - 10:02:26 EDT

On Aug 14, 2007, at 10:53 AM, Joshua Cearley wrote:

> I just thought of an interesting idea for getting data on to a Newton.

Those are great ideas.

There is a memory card rental system for bootstrapping your Newton,
using a PCMCIA card. Once you have the card though, it should not be
an issue at all to duplicate it into another PCMCIA of the same size.
Linux offers commands for reading from and writing directly to raw
devices regardless of file formats.

A for the IR, since you don't have the Einstein ROM (or if you had,
you wouldn't have the bootstrap problem) it would probably be easiest
to write some app from scratch or incorporate this into an
application that already speak the Newton protocol. I have not done
any IR programming myself, but I can ee how this would be a nice
challenge.

Any takers?

Matthias

----