Re: [NTLK] Wireless Help?

From: Greg Hankins <ghankins_at_mac.com>
Date: Tue Dec 25 2007 - 13:06:19 EST

Ian,
I've been lurking without contributing so far, because other folks
seem more knowledgeable than me about all this.

I just tested my card, inserting it into the newt and then clicking
"setup" in the resulting Slip. If I choose "Infrastructure" as the
Mode, I get "Channel 1 (ignored)," as you mention. But if I switch to
either of the options ("ad-hoc" or "ad-hoc (old-fashioned"), then I
do get the option of selecting a channel.

I'm getting DHCP with no trouble from my Airport Extreme, set to b/g.
Also an Airport Express at work and a Linksys of some sort at my
printer's place. (My card is a Lucent Wavelan Turbo Silver.

I was going to try a manual setup with my hardware just to see if I
could replicate your problem, but I have folks in the house using the
wireless.

Some more or less random thoughts:

I wonder if the Newt thinks you are connected because you used manual
connection — in other words, if you set it to manual, the Newt just
assumes you know what you are doing, rather than checking it out to
see whether a connection really exists.

I wonder if you can test the card by using it in a laptop?

If in fact a connection to the router is happening, it does seem as
though the problem is a DNS server problem.

As I mentioned, other folks here are clearly more knowledgeable than
me about this, but I wonder whether it might be worth going back
fiddling about to try to get the DHCP to work. If you're successful,
it will give you more connection options.

Cheers!

Greg
Greg Hankins
Happy Hank's Honey House