Re: [NTLK] NewtNotes vs. CardMedia

From: Mr Jonathan Dueck <jonathandueck_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat Feb 03 2007 - 12:12:11 EST

Hi, Dave,

CardMedia looks like a possible handy solution!

I'm an academic who uses the Newton a lot, for both
note-taking and writing.

Here's my current strategy:
I use Bookends 9 (a great program!) as my bibliography
manager, and Nisus Writer Express 2.7 (similarly
great, and a new one's coming up) as my WP on the Mac
side.

I export the entire Bookends database in its citation
format (which basically looks like this: {Author
Unique Details} ) to a text file, which I sort
alphabetically, and then keep on the Newton as a
Paperback book (indexed into chapters alphabetically).

I use Tasks to run that Paperback in the background
while I edit with NewtonWorks in the foreground, and I
can copy and paste references as needed, in citation
manager format.

I also keep all footnotes as code, whether in
NewtonWorks or in Nisus: <fn>Footnote</fn>. Before I
send off a paper from the Desktop side, I use Nobumi's
Footnote macros to convert these to real footnotes (or
endnotes, as the journal would like).

(Here's the URL for Nobumi:
http://www.bekkoame.ne.jp/~n-iyanag/nisus/note_macros_forNWE2.html)
(Or TinyURL: http://tinyurl.com/32kaev)

There's one obvious link missing in my system: I can't
create a new bibliographic record on the Newton side
and upload it to the Mac. In order to do this with
NewtNotes, I'd have to use a PowerPC Mac (not my fancy
new Intel Mac) or Windows, with a version of (the
expensive) Endnote. (I believe it'd have to be an old
version of Endnote too.)

One option for developing this capability might be to
develop a VCF export / import for Bookends, and to use
Cardmedia. (That's interesting!) I haven't used
CardMedia, but it seems like it's integrated with the
Address Book, and we can send and receive Address Book
entries as VCF cards using Blunt or IrObEx, right?
That might be one avenue of use...

Oh yes, and if you're in the sciences, there's a LaTeX
interpreter out there that can read your equation
code, might be handy too.

Cheers,
Jon

Need Mail bonding?