[NTLK] NewtNotes vs. CardMedia

From: Dave Bellamy <dave_bellamy_at_mac.com>
Date: Sat Feb 03 2007 - 03:21:56 EST

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone had any experiences (good, bad or
indifferent) with either NewtNotes or CardMedia. Specifically I am
looking at how effective they are in an academic context. As part of
my postgraduate studies I plan to use my Newt as the primary method
for capturing research information, as well as taking notes and
keeping track of classes and deadlines. The Newton is the ideal
device for this kind of activity.

This topic has been talked about before, "The Postgraduate Newton" by
Geoffrey Klingsporn. However, although he made mention of integration
with bibliography management tools he also noted that [at the time]
there was no mechanism to integrate the Newt with desktop apps such
as EndNote. NewtNotes appears to be an app that specifically acts as
the mobile companion to EndNote on your desktop. However it is not
cheap (US$80) and CardMedia (free) appears to have the potential to
serve a similar function. CardMedia does not have the sophisticated
integration with EndNote however.

I am concerned that NewtNotes may well not work with the newer
versions of EndNote (I am running OS9 on my faithful Pismo so it
would be EN version 4 or 5) or that the application is useable, worth
the money or indeed still supported by Catamount.

Any experiences the Newt community has with these applications would
be of great interest to me.

Kind Regards

Dave
Auckland, Aotearoa New Zealand