[NTLK] Books for learning programming of the Newton

From: Frank Gruendel <newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de>
Date: Sat Feb 10 2007 - 11:07:23 EST

> I haven't got a tonne of programming experience, but
> would like to learn. Do you need lots of programming
> knowledge to work with the Newt, or can you start fairly
> basically. I'm looking for something that starts
> essentially with "hello world" and goes from there. Does
> such a thing exist?

All that will get you going pretty fast can is reviewed
here:

   <http://www.pda-soft.de/programmingbooks.html>

Everything that is available for download can be downloaded
from this page.

I'd recommend getting the "Programming for the Newton"
book, which is available both for the Windows platform

   <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0124848303/frankgruendel>

or for the Mac platform

   <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/012484832X/frankgruendel>

Long ago I bought the Windows version, and it didn't take
me long to write my hello world program.

If you want to start really cheap, you should download the
Newton Toolkit (also available on the page mentioned
above). The help book of this program has a pretty decent
section on how to start.

Frank