Re: [NTLK] [ANN] Newton Connection for Mac OS X

From: James Wages <james_at_kiramek.com>
Date: Tue Jan 02 2007 - 21:08:44 EST

Michael,

I use a Keyspan USA-28X USB-to-serial adapter I bought off EBAY a couple
months ago for a mere $12. I use a modern G4 Cube as my main computer. USB
is no obstacle to using serial as long as you have an adapter. And keyspan
isn't the only choice either. Adriano (a developer on this list) has an
outstanding adapter that you may wish to try out.

Larry, I too get those -600 errors from time to time. In fact, it got so
bad last night that I was no longer able to launch the app. I had to
restart and then reinstall NCX to get it working again. I reported this to
Simon last night as a bug.

For those of you who replied "I'd pay for it as it is now," I was by no
means saying the current incarnation, even with bugs, is not worth anything.
But I was saying that "it would be worth more to me personally" if NCX could
have faster serial performance, along the lines of the theoretical maximum
of 230kbps. Indeed, everyone would want NCX for that! The only reason to
use Apple's NCU anymore is if you only owned an SE/30 that couldn't run OS X
to run NCX! I honestly think that 230kbps serial speeds would make NCX even
more outstanding, and more highly sought after than it is now. Keep up the
great work, Simon!

Best,

James Wages