Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V6 #607

From: Martin Joseph <NT_at_stillnewt.org>
Date: Wed Jan 03 2007 - 13:17:37 EST

On Jan 3, 2007, at 8:27 AM, Russell,Allen wrote:

> Steve,
> Nice write-up, thanks.
>
> I had bought one of those cards from ebay too. But, just a warning to
> others -- this was back when Tmobile did not require a data plan.
> I used to
> use it, and doing so only used my voice minutes. It's been a while
> since I
> tried, but I believe I stopped because a data plan is now
> required. Kinda
> annoying, if I want to chew up my limited minutes, why not let me?

They (t-mobile) doesn't count GPRS connectivity as talk time. You
can use the cheapest service (think it's 5.99 US). This is unlimited
in terms of time, but has historically blocked some ports. However,
when they changed from 4.99 to 5.99 (recently) they seem to have
opened many ports and this works fine here (seattle) now.

In the past I had to run a proxy server to circumvent the blockage of
port 80.

Hope this helps,
Marty

PS I am using a Bluetooth connected cell.