Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V6 #607

From: Russell,Allen <Allen.Russell_at_boc.com>
Date: Wed Jan 03 2007 - 11:27:33 EST

Steve,
Nice write-up, thanks.

I had bought one of those cards from ebay too. But, just a warning to
others -- this was back when Tmobile did not require a data plan. I used to
use it, and doing so only used my voice minutes. It's been a while since I
tried, but I believe I stopped because a data plan is now required. Kinda
annoying, if I want to chew up my limited minutes, why not let me?

Allen

>From: Steven Frank <stevenf@panic.com>
>Subject: [NTLK] Success! Newton online with Merlin G100 and T-Mobile
>Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 12:39:42 -0800
>Yay, I finally got this to work. :)
>The Merlin G100 is a PCMCIA card for cellular (GPRS) data access. It's
pretty old.
>I got one off eBay, and it's branded "VoiceStream" which is the company
T-Mobile
>bought when they began operations in the USA several years ago.
>I popped my T-Mobile SIM (with data plan) into the card, and popped the
card into
>my 2100, which already has NIE and all those goodies installed. "A
communications
>card has been inserted"! Yay!
>Then I went to Internet Setup and made a new "Serial" connection like so:
  <snip>

The information contained in this email and any attachments may be confidential and is provided solely for the use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, distribution, or use of this e-mail, its attachments or any information contained therein is unauthorised and prohibited. If you have received this in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete this e-mail and any attachments.

No responsibility is accepted for any virus or defect that might arise from opening this e-mail or attachments, whether or not it has been checked by anti-virus software.