Re: [NTLK] this list/Newtonlink

From: matthiasm <mm_at_matthiasm.com>
Date: Wed Jan 03 2007 - 15:02:45 EST

On Jan 3, 2007, at 3:00 PM, Dale Raby wrote:

> I have installed the most recent stable Newtonlink RPM (1.29) on my
> Fedora
> Core 6 machine. Installation went without incident, the system
> detected the
> required dependencies and downloaded them from the repositories,
> asked me if
> I was sure I wanted to install an unsigned RPM, to which I replied
> "yes",
> and Newtonlink took up residence on my hard drive... not certain
> exactly
> where, probably /etc/bin.
>
> Now the fun stuff; typing "newtonlink", or "./newtonlink" into a
> command
> line, even as root seems to have no effect.

First of all, let me reply, so you know that your message made it ;-)

I don't know where Newtonlink is installed, but you can use the
"find" command to find it. First, after installing anything, type
"rehash" (this will fail on Bash, but is essential on tcsh), then
type "which newtonlink" to make sure that your shell does not find
the app (it could be that it does find it, but it doesn't start,
which is an entirely different matter).

OK, so now we first need to find the program file itself: try "find ~
-name newtonlink". Make sure that uppper/lower case is correct. This
searches your whole home directory. If it is not there, replace the ~
with /usr/bin, then /usr/local/bin, and then with /usr/sbin. If that
still doesn't get you anything, you can search the whole machine by
entering the path names of all mounted devices (you need to be root
to do that).

If you find the app, try to start it by giving the full path. If that
doesn't work, your permission are wrong. Try "chmod a+rx /my/path/to/
newtonlink". Launch again. If it still doesn't launch, you may have
the wrong executable type. Try "file /my/path/to/newtonlink" and it
will tell you what type it is.

Finally, if you did find it, adjust your PATH variable to include the
path of the app (and on tcsh, "rehash").

Matthias

----
http://robowerk.com/