Re: [NTLK] [ANN] Newton Connection for Mac OS X

From: Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jan 03 2007 - 20:07:27 EST

~~~ On 2007/01/04 00:56, Lord Groundhog at LordGroundhog@gmail.com wrote ~~~

> ~~~ On 2006/12/27 17:30, Simon Bell at simonbell@mac.com wrote ~~~
>
>> A big �thank you� to all of you who have sent messages of support.
>>
>> As you can imagine, I have been flooded with reports of problems with
>> Newton Connection. Some of them need individual attention, but I
>> thought it might be useful to address some of the issues in this forum.
>>
>> <snip>
>
> Simon,
>
> Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but are there any patterns (other
> than the normal user learning-related problems) connecting those people who
> can make NCX work effortlessly and those who are finding problems? I'm
> thinking for example of whether there are variations in the behaviour of NCX
> between OS X 10.3.x and 10.4.x, or perhaps even within the versions of 10.3
> and 10.4. Or perhaps, whether it would be best to ensure that Classic is
> shut down, either before installing or before using NCX, or both.
>
> Obviously you've identified certain key things that NCX needs done by the
> installer, but I wondered if there are any other things inherent in the OSes
> that also affect success.

Aagh! I forgot the other part of my question. I'm looking to take my
PowerBook from OS X 10.3.5 either to a later version of Panther or to
10.4.x, and I was wondering if there are some versions OS X that are more
Newton-friendly than others. I should say I haven't tried get the two
talking to each other yet, but I'd like to have a go.

Any recommendations or warnings before I commit myself in an OS upgrade?

Shalom.
Christian

“Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from a NewtonPad.”
            -- in appreciation of Arthur C. Clarke

http://homepage.mac.com/chodlang1/iMovieTheater16.html
(With thanks to Chod Lang)

Fight Spam! Join EuroCAUCE: http://www.euro.cauce.org/