Re: [NTLK] Hacked WiFi driver

From: Mark Rollins <mark_at_mrollins.com>
Date: Sun Jan 07 2007 - 12:01:11 EST

On Jan 7, 2007, at 1:02 AM, newtontalk@newtontalk.net wrote:

> Subject: Re: [NTLK] Hacked WiFi driver

There's a lot of software out there that is abandonware; if I find it
and use it I try to pay the person/company or convince them to
officially release it to the public domain.

Failing that, one can almost always find a hack/krak/"fix" to enable
the use of said software. (there's a TON of these for the Newton,
perhaps one day I'll have to release my collection...)

Once I do that I write a check to said company, date it and put it in
an envelope I have in my desk labeled "payment attempts" with a short
note of the way(s) I tried to get the person payment.

With the event of PayPal, as someone noted, I would have absolutely
no compunction about using a hack and sending the money via PayPal.
You have truly paid for it; if the person doesn't accept that is too
bad; if they do but do not issue an activation code then you can
still use the software.