Re: [NTLK] Hacked WiFi driver

From: Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun Jan 07 2007 - 19:24:43 EST

On 1/7/07, Wes <wes.frazier@gmail.com> wrote:
> It is important to note that the BSD OpenSource license specifically
> allows people to make derivative works using their code WITHOUT
> releasing the source code. Nor does it require the binary to be
> released for free.
Thanks Wes for that insightful comment.,

> Every indication is that the drive in question derives it's heritage
> from BSD code and NOT GPL code.
>
> Thus Mr. Hiroshi is not in violation of the license and their would
> be no legal compulsion to release his driver for free.

I'm under the recollection that this maybe the case. Only wish I knew how I
got to the older website link on www.archive.org
If I could then maybe we could get a confirmation to this item...

> Sometime may be spent actually reading up on what the BSD license
> entails, before making assumptions about it's nature.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSD_license

Ah, another item for me to read so I can be knowledgeable in future
conversations.

--
God bless,
Sonny Hung