Re: [NTLK] Bible Software

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Sun Jan 21 2007 - 11:28:29 EST

On 1/20/2007 1:50 PM, R. Mansfield wrote:
> Thanks to everyone who responded (both on the list and by direct
> email) to my question about Bible software on the Newton.
> It looks like a Greek New Testament doesn't exist and a Hebrew Bible
> might be impossible since the Newton only reads left to right.
>
> But can the Newton read Mac fonts, or does it use a proprietary font
> system? My thought is that I could export the Greek NT from
> Accordance and use the Mac-classic version of their Helena font to
> read it--if the font could be used on the Newton.
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
> Rick Mansfield [ p. 502 .387 .6414 e. RMansfield@mac.com ]
> Website & Blog: http://thislamp.com

If you made a Newton Book, then it does not matter as you can read it
anyway you want. Actually if you imported such text to Works and used
the Newton Greek font you can still read it as you need (right to left
or left to right). Granted if you wanted to do HWR in Hebrew, I don't
think that is possible, unless a developer made some sort of package
that altered how the HWR worked, or replaced the built in HWR itself (I
am not sure if that is possible, but the Newton OS is very flexible in
that regard).

As for fonts, yes the Newton uses fonts that are usually packages, one
package per font (in general) so that you can choose which fonts you
want to have on hand (as they take up memory and that can be limiting if
you don't have large flash cards). I don't believe you can just import
fonts from the Mac. But I know you can build your own. However since
there is a nice Greek font freely available, I would just use that. :)

http://www.stillnewt.org/library/_Fiction/_Fantastic%20Literature/_scifi/Lucian%20-%20Trip%20to%20the%20Moon/

You can grab NewtGreek at
http://www.stillnewt.org/library/_Software/_Other%20Newton%20Applications/_Fonts/
It would seem that the original site (http://www.digitalinkwell.net/) is
still down (it has been down for a while now so I fear it is unlikely it
will return).

And I think NewtGreek is on UNNA as well.

If you want to look at a Newton Book made with NewtGreek then take a
look at this one:
http://www.stillnewt.org/library/_Fiction/_Fantastic%20Literature/_scifi/Lucian%20-%20Trip%20to%20the%20Moon/
Granted it is in English, but it is a good example of the font. But to
view the book you need to have the font installed first.

-Dan