Re: [NTLK] I need a PDA, is a Newton a sane choice today?

From: <knowtree_at_aloha.com>
Date: Wed Mar 07 2007 - 15:03:39 EST

> --- pnetops@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > Before I go to the shops and like the masses drop a load of cash for
an inferior
> > device, I thought I would do some research to find if this 10yr old
machine will
> > meet my needs. At the moment the missing gaps in my information relate
to syncing.
[snip]
> it was such a hassle, that i just gave up and started
> entering meetings by hand on the newton rather than go through the whole
complicated
> process.

That's what I do. My main calendar is on my Newton. I have my Outlook
calendar at work, which generates not even one entry a week, and a calendar
on a collaboration portal also at work, and which also generates very low
traffic. It takes less time to do the entries by hand than to deal with the
headache of syncing.

Think abougt it. If my wife says we are having dinner with the Jone's next
Saturday night it is up to me to pull out my Newton and write it down. Same
thing when my boss schedules a meeting.

Another area I struggle with is my phone book. I like having all my
contacts on my Newton, and I often use it to place calls at work, because
it automatically keeps a record. But I also like having entries on my cell
phone, only not as many as on my Newton. Again, two small data sets
maintained by hand. If only my phone had a "Sync to PDA" check box in the
phone book.

The stumbling block for me has always been the act of writing things down.
Remembering to look at what I wrote is a problem, too. Success at both is
more likely when the tool is cool, and nothing comes close to a Newton for
functionality, ease of use, and outright coolness. The iPhone looks like it
will be cool, too, but is too sorely lacking in utility to replace my Newton.

Gary Dunn
Honolulu
MP110, MP2100